Moving House? – Top Tips for Packing
Suffolk removals company Pooley Removals and Storage have been moving people successfully for over forty years. We understand how precious your belongings are and as well as removals, we offer a full packing service where we will come and pack all of the contents the day before your move but if you choose to do your own packing, here are some top tips:
- Start Early – don’t leave your packing until the last minute. You may think you can do it all in 24 hours and it may be possible but it is far better to leave plenty of time to get it done properly. There are also always delays when you find old photos that you want to look through or something sentimental that you forgot you had!
- Declutter – what better time is there to have a really good sort out? Rather than just filling your new house up with clutter that you don’t use or need, have a clear out and either donate some bits to charity, do a car boot sale or sell online. You are also likely to find random things like that old portable TV that you put in the loft in case you needed a spare but is now too old to use.
- Use Proper Packing Materials – use a variety of box sizes i.e. small, medium and large to suit the items you are packing in them. Try to use good quality ones so they don’t break apart especially for heavier items. You will also need parcel tape, labels, pens, bubble wrap, newspaper etc. If you are using Pooleys, all of our quotes include packing materials whether you have decided to do your own packing or you are using our packing service.
- Labelling – label each box with the room it needs to go into but also some details as to what is in it are useful. You may get eight boxes for the kitchen for example so you don’t want to have to search through all eight to find a saucepan!
- Weight – make sure you don’t overfill the boxes as they will be too heavy to lift safely (or at all!). The last thing you want on moving day is a back injury!
- One Room At A Time – it is a good idea to start with one of the least used rooms. Once you’ve fully packed that room you can then use it to store boxes so they are not in your way. Try to pack one room at a time rather than bits from each room.
- Washing – finish your washing in plenty of time so your laundry is fully dry before packing. Damp clothes will not only weigh more, they will smell musty by the time you unpack them.
- Documents – keep all of your important documents such as passports, birth/marriage certificates etc. together in one place and make sure you know where they are.
- First Night – make sure you have everything you need for your first day/night in one box and preferably keep it with you in your car. This will probably include kettle, tea/coffee, snacks, plates, cups, cutlery, ketchup, loo rolls, towel etc. Keep your bedding separate, for example in a car boot so that you can make up the beds as soon as they are in. Also pack an overnight bag for each person with change of clothes, toiletries, pyjamas etc. This way, you will be able to relax on your first night, order a takeaway and not have to hunt for anything as you’ll probably be worn out!
- Recycle Packing and Boxes – try to recycle as much of your packaging as possible. If you have used Pooleys for your removal, we will collect and recycle all used cartons and packing paper once you have unpacked.
Of course if this is all too daunting for you then why not use our full packing service and let us remove the stress for you! For all of your Suffolk removals needs, get in touch with Pooley Removals and Storage.